SAVE THE VISTA

COMMITTEE TO SAVE THE VISTA

c/o The Municipal Art Society, 457 Madison Avenue, New York, NY  10022

Tel: 267-980-5528   Fax: 212-753-1816   info@savethevista.org

BATTLE HILL MONUMENT

 

This most significant historic Vista was dedicated on August 27, 1920, by the gift of the Irish-American businessman, Charles M. Higgins.  Among those present at the dedication ceremony were New York Governor Alfred E. Smith and then Asst. Secretary of the Navy Franklin D. Roosevelt (elected Governor of the State of New York in 1928 and President of the United States in November 1932).

 

The plaque at the base of the Minerva Monument reads as follows:

 

“The Place Whereon Thou Standest is Holy Ground”

Glory to the Memory of Our First National Heroes Who Fought and Fell on this Battle Ground to Win Our Liberty and Independence!  Minerva, the Goddess of Wisdom, Glory and Patriotism, Here Salutes The Goddess of Liberty and Enwreathes This Altar in Tribute to the Heroes of American Liberty and to the Wisdom of American Institutions.

 

The Minerva Monument has stood atop Battle Hill, arm raised, saluting the Statue of Liberty across the harbor for 85 years.  Over the years, the Statue of Liberty has grown to stand for freedom and democracy as well as international friendship.  It was the recognition of this friendship between France and the United States established during the American Revolution that was the basis of this gift by the people of France to the United States. 

 

This noble Statue of Liberty Enlightening the World is placed centrally in New York Harbor with its face turned toward Brooklyn where, at the other end of this historic Vista, the sanctifying Minerva Monument is strategically placed on Battle Hill in Green-Wood Cemetery.  The Minerva Monument stands at the Altar to Liberty located on the highest hilltop of our first National battle-ground where our first National Heroes fought and fell for American Liberty and Independence.

 

In our famous national shrine of Independence Hall in Philadelphia, on July 4, 1776, fifty-five of our leading patriots signed, in ink, the great Document which declared us to be a free and independent Nation, with sublime principles of Liberty and Humanity for all.  The Minerva Monument is the memorial to the Battle of Brooklyn where hundreds of our young heroes signed this Declaration in their blood  and were the first to lay down their lives for the New Nation. 3

 

                   1 The Brooklyn Irish American Parade Committee and The Michael A. Rawley, Jr. American Legion Post #1636.

                                  Maryland 400 Commemoration-Saturday, August 20, 2005. Brooklyn, New York: Joseph G Duffy, Inc.,                                   2005.

 

                   2 Gallagher, John J. The Battle of Brooklyn, 1776. New York: Sarpedon, 1995.

 

                 3 Kings County Historical Society. Dedication of Monument and Altar to Liberty on Battle Hill, Green-Wood

                                  Cemetery-August 27, 1920. Brooklyn, New York: The DeVinne Press, 1920.

 

                   4 McCullough, David. 1776. New York: Simon & Schuster, 2005.

 

                   5 The Old Stone House of Brooklyn, Inc. The Battle of Brooklyn. Brooklyn, New York, 2005.